18 February 2009

Amélie


This lovely little French film just makes me so incredibly joyful! The story of a young girl who is painfully shy and socially awkward, but whose life changes after she returns a small box of childhood mementos to an old man and then decides to spend time making others smile. It definitely makes me smile and oddly enough, restores my faith in the compassion and grace that can be found in humanity. Not only do I identify with a girl who finds comfort and peace in solitude, yet longs for community and love from other human beings, I love the films way of looking for details. In my own life, I feel as though I have always looked for the tiny, seemingly insignificant details that truly create a human being. Those small intricacies and the things we do when we think no one is looking are what ultimately shape our character and experiences. The way this film searches for and explores those intimate details encourages my own love of them. Just such a wonderfully intricate and pure look at the goodness that lies within humanity.


"Amelie has a strange feeling of absolute harmony. It's a perfect moment. A soft light, a scent in the air, the quiet murmur of the city. A surge of love, an urge to help mankind overcomes her."

No comments: