29 September 2009

My Slow Descent into Insanity

As I enter my fourth week as a Capital Fellow, I am beginning to wonder what I got myself into. They say the third week is the hardest, and given the mental breakdown that a few of us had yesterday, I believe it. We have finally finished with every introductory BBQ (there have been about a million), met EVERY SINGLE person at MPC, started all of our classes, began trying to memorize the names and faces of the kids we will be working with at youth group, and started our third week of work. Don’t get me wrong, I am still super blessed and excited to be here – but I am also a little bit worried that I might die of exhaustion before the year is over. I probably won’t, but in an effort to explain to you just how busy I am, I have provided a little day-by-day schedule of events to illustrate my slow descent into insanity. Plus, I am hoping this will assure some of you that I am not avoiding your phone calls or not returning them out of my own volition…I really do want to talk to you, but here’s why I am the worst friend ever right now!

Monday:
8:00am – Accountability with the Girls9:30am-12:30pm – Class (Reading the Word and the World Together)
*we are supposed to have Monday afternoon off to study, but once a month we volunteer at a homeless shelter, and once a month we have a leadership meeting for youth group…I haven’t had a free Monday afternoon yet
6:00-9:00pm – Roundtable (Dinner & Group Discussion at the Director’s House)

Tuesday:
8:30am-5:00pm – Internship at Philanthropy Roundtable

Wednesday:
8:30am-5:00pm – Internship at Philanthropy Roundtable
7:30-9:30pm – Class (Spiritual Formation)

Thursday:
8:30am-5:00pm – Internship at Philanthropy Roundtable

Friday:
9:00-10:00am – Bible Study
10:00am-12:30pm – Class (Kingdom Seminar)
*we are also supposed to have Friday afternoons off, but also have other obligations such as meetings with our mentors, contact time with kids in the youth group (i.e. attendance at soccer games, choir recitals, etc.) to attend to

Saturday:
MY ONE DAY OFF!!! (Usually spent sleeping and studying like crazy)

Sunday:
9:00-11:15am – Sunday School with the 7th and 8th graders
11:15am-12:30pm – Church (during which we sit with the youth group and make sure they are quiet and listening)
4:00-7:00pm – Sunday Evening Youth Church
7:00-9:00pm – Harvest Young Adult meeting (this is optional, but many of us love it since it is the only event during which we have no responsibilities and are not on display)

**Further obligations that take up the one full day and about 8 hours/week (that’s right, 8) that we have free:
- Fellows Retreats on the weekend (there are 4 throughout the year)
- Youth Group Retreats on the weekend (there are 3 throughout the year) at which we are counselors and one of which I have this weekend
- Meetings with our mentors
- Contact time with kids in the youth group (i.e. attendance at soccer games, choir recitals, etc, as well as taking them to things like coffee, movies, mini-golf, etc)
- Homework, homework, homework (I have about as much reading for 3 classes as I had for 6 classes in undergrad)

Oh goodness.

No comments: