29 April 2012

red velvet.


number one on the list and I feel great about it. I finally tracked down the famous recipe from that lovely friend who thankfully included some expert advice from her years of experience. for example, I am completely confident I would have had a very flat cake without her adamant multiple warnings not to over-beat the batter. and the frosting? guys. you have to believe that, contrary to popular cupcake shops all over the place, buttercream frosting goes wayyy better with red velvet than that of the cream cheese variety. per her guidance, I whipped that frosting until my arms were sore. and folks, it was totally worth it.

seeing as this is not a fancy food blog where I take detailed and beautiful photos of each step, I only snapped one before I got too engrossed in the actual cake creation. and then by the time I was finished it was 1am and I was too tired to take more than two, poorly lit photos documenting my success and that lovely red that took two bottles of food coloring to create. who knew it takes multiple hours to make and frost a cake from scratch??? (probably a lot of you.) so there you have it. number one completed with flying colors. if I do say so myself.

6 comments:

Ginny said...

yummm...i approve of the frosting-to-cake ratio :)

Autumn said...

I love this post. Both because it showcases your list :-) and because not only do the pictures look delicious but I know that the actual product tastes delicious....since I pretty much had it for breakfast. And it was awesome.

andrea said...

awesome. awesome awesome awesome. xoxoxox

Sadie Dear said...

Oh, yummmmm. This is killing me... now I want to bake cake! Buttercream frosting is so easy to make and so delicious. And I bet it knocks that red velvet cake out of the park!

Becca said...

I should never look at this when in the middle of a no-sweets month! Seriously... looks amazing. If you want to try this again, I made cupcakes using a great recipe! It's http://makingroomwithus.blogspot.de/2012/02/eye-candy.html.

maryleighcarter said...

ooooooh man... you know how much I love red velvet cake! yum!