02 April 2012

a roman holiday indeed.



rome. my new favorite city. paradox abounds as I pass winking, calling casanovas and pious priests on the same street corner. as I pass women with natural symmetrical beauty but choosing to cover it with layer upon of thick makeup. as I pass modern wine bars dwarfed by ancient ruins of rock and rubble.






if I could stay longer, I would sit in the Campo di Fiori for an entire day and watch it change from morning market to evening apertivo to night pub crawl. watch it flow effortlessly and automatically from one lifestyle to the next. from one person to the next.


pic name pic name

if I could stay longer, I would spend the whole day at the vatican falling more in love with sculptures and maps and frescos. I would sit in st. peter's and soak in beauty created. and in school children on field trips. when I was their age, I got to go to the donner party museum. somehow, I think this is a bit cooler.

pic name pic name
pic name pic name

if I could stay longer, I would wander the piazzas and photograph the buskers mingling with the tourists. the mimes and accordion players and invisible men and stunning stilted white women.


if I could stay longer, I would befriend a street artist. I would ask him to teach me how to tag a moving train or the underside of an overpass. I would ask him to teach me how to paint in his vivid shades of greens and purples and blues. I would ask him to teach me how to paint with the same grand curves and winding words. I would ask him to create for me an elaborate signature like his own.



pic name pic name
if I could stay longer, I would weave in and out of streets called leonina and condotti and tritone. and I would and snap quick shots of men in sharp suits and soft leather shoes on their way to work. based on their polished beauty and confidence, they could all be heading to the same model agency.





if I could stay longer, I would become fluent in this language of effortless flow and romance. I would learn to speak as quickly and beautifully as the romans do. I would talk fiercely with my hands. I would return the looks of charming waiters and baristas. I would flirt with the confidence of these roman women.

if I could stay longer, I would fall in love entirely.

1 comment:

bocasam said...

Absolutley lovely photos. The narrative was so well written and expressed. You captured the spirit of so beautifully. It is in your blood.