25 April 2012

a sinking city.

pic name pic name




pic name pic name



if venice were part of my family, she would be my spontaneous, slightly erratic, but lots-of-fun little sister. full of impetuous moods (see: weather), over the top personality (see: local gondoliers and vaporetto operators), and a slightly concerning shopping addiction (see: trinket stores and boutiques everywhere). she would also be super mysterious and beautiful but need a lot of direction in life (see: magical streets of water and cobblestone, but with no explanation of where anything actually leads). but if venice were my spontaneous, slightly erratic, but lots-of-fun little sister I would probably love her the most for all the same reasons she sometimes annoys me.

the rain. it came. strong and continuous throughout our entire first day. but with water below me and all around me and coming down on me, I kind of didn't mind it. I kind of felt at home. I didn't very much care to get my pant legs wet and my hair frizzy. but I did like the feeling of rain covering everything and making it all a bit quieter, a bit softer. I liked the way bright umbrellas looked in a gray world. I liked the way strangers huddled together under store awnings and bonded for just a few minutes before venturing back into the downpour. I liked the way the gondoliers flipped their collars up, pulled their rain rackets over their striped shirts (yes, they dress that way at disneyland and real life!), and continued calling out discounted prices for a ride on the grand canal. I liked the way my world felt contained and settled in a blanket of rain.

and as much as the first day was full of rain that I thought would flood an already flooded city, the second day was full of sun that seemed as though it didn't even know rain existed. we went to an island where all they do is create masterpieces of blown glass. glass so hot that the master glass-blowers (like that lovely gentleman with the glasses) create something fragile and exquisite and then light their cigarette right off of it. I wandered through peggy's favorites and dipped my hands in the canal of this sinking city and rode the vaporetto with venetian locals on their way to work just as if I were riding the DC metro on my way to work. we zoomed up the waterway like a freeway. and I marveled at half-flooded but still wholly-functioning buildings and boats carrying all the same things (food. lumber. moving boxes. people.) that cars carry in our world. but our world seemed about a million miles away.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Carrie, I absolutely love your blog. You have an incredible gift of writing. The honesty and vulnerability in your posts is very moving.
Your photos of Italy are wonderful. I hope to get there myself someday. :)

carrie said...

@Susan Thanks so much! I really hope you can get there someday too! And when you go, I will have a lot of great recommendations for you :) Hope you are well!

Susan said...

Carrie, we are well thank you. We decided today that we are going to shoot for doing a tour of Italy in July of 2013. We would LOVE any recommendations you have. :)

carrie said...

@Susan Well, hooray! That is so great you are planning to go! We went to Rome, Florence, Venice, Tuscany, Sicily, and a few small towns along the way. If you want to send me an email when you know your tentative plan I can list some great restaurants, sights, etc. So excited for you!